Review written on August 30, 2016
- Two-way video and audio so your pets can see and hear you
- Dispense treats or a soothing scent remotely, using the app
- See your pet with an HD low-light camera
- Record and share videos of your pets
- Receive an alert from sound or motion detection
- Can be mounted in front of plug in, leaving no wires exposed
- At this time there is no android app, but it is in development according to the company’s website
- Requires high speed internet, if you want a clear HD experience
What is the PetChatz Greet and Treat Videophone
As you’ll see from Dave’s Top Guide Pet Gadget page, PetChatz isn’t the only device that allows you to interact with your pet from anywhere, but it’s the Cadillac of these devices. PetChatz not only lets you see your pet and dispense treats, it allows your pet to see you, lets you record a video and dispense a soothing scent. It’s the only device we’ve reviewed that lets your pet call you with “PawCall”.
You don’t have to, but it is recommended that you mount the device on the wall overtop of a wall outlet. The benefit of this is that there will be no wires sticking out, for your pet to chew. In addition, PetChatz is made of durable material. Designed with no sharp corners or edges, keeping your pets safety in mind. The PetChatz app gives you onscreen instructions to connect your PetChatz to your Wi-Fi and finish set up. If you get stuck, their customer service is more than happy to help you. After the device is setup, you can access it through a smartphone, tablet or computer. Be sure to check out their video “How to Train Your Pet for PetChatz” to learn how to train your pet to work with PetChatz!
Originally, PetChatz came with a VGA (640 X 480) camera without night vision. Now it comes with an HD (1280 X 720) 30 fps, low-light camera. Unlike some of their competitors, PetChatz allows you to record your pets and their shenanigans. It even has motion and sound detection which can send you an email notification if an event happens within the range of the PetChatz unit. The sensor has about an 8 foot (2.4 meter) distance within a 54 degree angle.
Another unique feature is PawCall. PawCall is actually a button that allows your pets to call you. When your pet presses the button, you receive a notification that your pet is calling you. You can turn it off or on, depending on if you are ready to take a call. The device has a blinking light that lets your pet know that you are available to take a call. You can encourage them by giving them a treat reward when they do call.
The treat dispenser holds 100 small treats which are very healthy. The PetChatz Treatz have no cheap fillers like grain, wheat, corn, added fat, artificial flavors or bi-products. They are made with fresh, single source protein in chicken, liver or salmon flavors. These can be enjoyed by dogs or cats. You can order refills on the company’s web site. Users will be notified if the number of treats gets low. You can use your own similarly sized treats, but it isn’t recommended by the company.
Another unique feature is the ablility to give your pet a calming scent from a combination of essential oils which are applied on a pad. They come in packs of 10 and should last for several weeks. Pets relate scents to experiences. Using these scents allows you pet to relate these smells to the fun they have with PetChatz.
Features and Benefits of PetChatz
- Finally a device that allows your pets to see and hear you, as you see and hear them
- Use the app to dispense treats
- App also allow you to dispense a soothing scent
- Allows your pets to call you using PawCall
- Connect with your pet through your smartphone, tablet or computer
- The camera has been upgraded from 640 X 480 to an HD low-light camera (1280 X 720)
- Record and share videos of your pets
- Receive an email notification when sound or motion event happens (within 8 feet distance and 54 degree angle from PetChatz)
- Mount over an electrical wall outlet and have no exposed cords for pets to chew
We all know that pets miss us and can suffer from separation anxiety when were are away for travel, work or just to the corner store. You can calm your pet’s separation anxiety with the sound of your voice and seeing your face on the screen. PetChatz is loaded with unique features which other pet cameras don’t have. If you’re looking for a great way to interact with your pet, PetChatz should be on the top of your list.
Dave’s top guide has to remove one star for the lack of android support. We give PetChatz 4 stars out of 5!